top of page

Sanatorium Josephshaus

Contemporary documents



  • From 1901 to 2007 it was owned by the Dominican nuns from Ilanz.

  • 1899 - Purchase of a 4900 square meter building site next to the Catholic Church.

  • 1901 - Completion and move-in to the “Josephshaus Sanatorium” with 65 rooms and a total of 85 beds. The interior design concept was tailored entirely to the care of people suffering from tuberculosis. The reclining treatments, which were essential for successful healing at that time, took place on the terraces.

  • In the 1950s, medical advances made specialist care for lung patients largely unnecessary.

  • In 1959 the Josephshaus was converted into a holiday and relaxation house.


  • The Josephshaus has been owned by the Davoser Bergbahnen since 2007. It also got a new name, “Joseph’s House”. Since then it has been run as a 2-star hotel with single and double rooms. The building is scheduled to be renovated in the next few years.

bottom of page