top of page

Basler Heilstätte für Brustkranke

Contemporary documents



In 1896, the city of Basel built the “Basel Sanatorium for Chest Patients” at the entrance to the Flüela Valley, which was soon able to accommodate 100 patients. It was the first public sanatorium for indigent tuberculosis sufferers in Davos.

In a very short time, numerous private sanatoriums and folk sanatoriums for underprivileged patients were established according to the principles of Dr. Turban created standard parts.

The patients were housed in pavilions surrounded by a large garden to provide them with sufficient rest and relaxation.

By the mid-1940s, the existing beds were no longer sufficient to accommodate Basel's tuberculosis patients. In order to cope with this increasing need for beds and to avoid a structural expansion of the sanatorium - due to the high costs - the "Commission for the Basel Sanatorium for Chest Patients in Davos" decided in 1945 to acquire the "Castelmont" house in Davos Dorf and for the building there Establishment of a branch of the sanatorium.

In the mid-1960s, the clinic began to be restructured into a multi-purpose sanatorium.

In May 1966, the Federal Health Office granted approval to run a department for non-tuberculous patients.

The clinic was redesigned between 1967 and 1971. The construction of a new nurses' house was also completed.

In the 1980s, the needs and tastes of the clientele changed. The house was perceived as dusty and old-fashioned, and the result was a decline in occupancy.

Closure on October 31, 1985 and sale to Carlton AG Davos, which wanted to use the area for tourism purposes.


  • ​In 2006, a first draft of a hotel building was presented by the architect Matteo Thun, but was not realized.

  • In the summer of 2007, demolition of the sanatorium began after it was sold on to Stilli Park AG.

  • From 2011 to 2013, the “InterContinental Davos” hotel, now the “AlpenGold Hotel”, was built according to new plans by the Munich architects Oikios.

bottom of page