top of page


Contemporary documents



  • As a socially minded doctor, Dr. Alexander Spengler, who can be considered the founder of the health resort Davos, initiated the construction of the first “people's sanatorium” in Davos Platz, which would also enable less fortunate patients to have a spa stay. The sponsor was the Evangelical Kurgemeinde Davos (Lutheran), which supported the project significantly.


  • In 1870, the deaconess association to support the poor (called “the poor” by spa guests) was founded. Money was collected through countless bazaars.


  • On August 26, 1881, the foundation stone for a nursing home with a chapel was laid. The inauguration took place on January 1, 1883.


  • From July 1883, Bernese deaconesses were responsible for the care, and they did this free of charge.


  • On June 25, 1887, an extension to the Deaconess House (as it was then called) was noted in the Davos newspapers. After Spengler's death, the house was named “Alexanderhaus” after him.


  • The arcades were built in the immediate vicinity. During the construction of the Kurhaus extension, the excavated material was transported here and a flat surface was created. The garden area with a walkway (arcades) was built in 1882. The spa orchestra also performed here. On November 19, 1892, the enlargement of the raised area and the new walkway with a glass wall were completed. It was 200 paces long and 8 paces wide.


  • An earlier advertising brochure shows that the Alexanderhausklinik is located in the immediate vicinity of the main promenade and the Schatzalpbahn and that concerts, lectures and sporting events can therefore be easily reached in just a few minutes. Cozy and sunny common rooms, a library, a games room and a music room served as fun and intellectual diversion. Photography amateurs even found a well-equipped darkroom. The bedrooms were large, airy, bright and comfortable. Covered, partitioned south-facing balconies enabled air and sun treatments. For the rooms without balconies there was a general lounge area in a sunny, wind-protected location on the top floor of the house.


  • At the beginning of the 20th century, the clinic treated tuberculosis with so-called air cures. The clinic most recently specialized in neurodermatitis and psoriasis. This group of patients significantly outnumbered those of pure asthmatics and allergy sufferers. Extensive treatment methods were offered, supplemented by sport, psychological care, hikes and low-allergen food. The “Alexanderhausklinik” was one of the last so-called German sanatoriums/hospitals in Davos. Patients from Germany stayed in the high mountains for therapy. The reasons for its effectiveness included the absence of house dust mites and other allergens at such high altitudes, the intense UV radiation, more uniform temperature conditions and air with less oxygen (which promotes the formation of red blood cells). Billing for patients was subject entirely to German law.


  • On November 29, 2004, the clinic went bankrupt after more than a century of history. The patients and small parts of the staff were taken over by the German Hochgebirgsklinik Davos Wolfgang.

  • At the end of 2006, the clinic building including the outbuildings (e.g. the attached chapel) and all inventory (including sports hall, swimming pool, sauna, etc.) were purchased by the Swiss real estate company SPI Real Estate AG based in Sarnen.

  • The buildings were converted into the “Grand Hotel Alexander” and became the “Hard Rock Hotel” in 2017. The well-preserved chapel was de-dedicated. It was carefully renovated and is now used as an event room.

bottom of page